Fiddle Tunes from Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton
Clawhammer Banjo and Fingerstyle Guitar.
This recording features Celtic and Acadian tunes from
Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton in the Canadian Maritimes.
Ken spent several years collecting music from traditional
fiddlers in that region and absorbed much of their style in the
process. The clawhammer banjo cuts — which feature Cape Breton
style piano accompaniment by Kevin Chaisson of Prince Edward
Island, and solid guitar accompaniment by John Rossback of
Syracuse, NY — are spirited and lively, succesfully capturing
the flavor of Canadian Maritimes old-time fiddling, which has a
kind of rhythm and drive not unlike American “old-timey”
fiddling. The three guitar cuts feature Ken’s sparkling approach
CD: $15 US, cassette: $10 US.
Click on Highlighted Files to Hear Selections
- Lord MacDonald’s Reel/The Princess Reel
- Miss Maxwell/Miss Gordon/Robert Stubbert
- The Brae Reel/The Miramichi Fire
- Belfast Jig/Inverness Jig/Bear River Jig
- Glenfiddich Strathspey/Homeward Bound [Guitar Solo]
- Northside Tune/Over the Briny Ocean
- Captain Campbell/The Cape Breton Wedding Reel/Andrew
Renwick’s Ferret (G. Lincoln)
- Upper Denton Hornpipe/Fiddlin’ Phil
- Niel Gow’s
Fiddle/Scourdiness (C. Sherritt) [Guitar Solo]
- The Duke of Gordon’s Birthday/The Dragger’s Reel (E.
Arsenault)/The Green Meadow Reel/Paddy on the Turnpike
- Irishman’s Heart to the Ladies/Riverbend Jig (D.R.
- Rothiemurchus Rant/The Bonny Lass of Fisherrow/Koehler’s
- Joe Kearney’s Reel/Darlin’ Don’t You Meddle Me/Fermoy Lasses
- Space Available (M. Doucet)/The
- Bishop MacDonald/Glengarry’s Dirk/The Bird’s Nest [Guitar
- Island Boy/St. Anne’s Reel
Reviews of Island Boy